There is a difference between leaving school before 17 years old and after 17.
To check out the requirements for leaving school before 17 or before completeing year 10 click here
Research shows that leaving school without completing Year 12 leads to earning less, possible long periods of unemployment and being less likely to return to study later in life.
On average,those choosing not to finish Year 12 will earn around half a million dollars less during their lifetime than someone who does finish Year 12.
If you are thinking of leaving school early this questionaire may assist in overcoming any barriers at school.
Before leaving school it is important to have:
- Investigated all in school options.
- Talked to a careers advisor and have a plan.
- Investigated policy and school leaving age .
- Found a job or a course.
- Discovered your best career options through career exploration and tests and tools.
- Looked at opportunities to gain experience.
This video has information on pathways planning and options – Any more Questions
If you have decided to leave school before you complete year 10 or are under 17 the following options are available :
- Continuing education with an external provider:
- TAFE course- for example – Pre apprenticeships ( these are courses that may assist in getting you an apprenticeship)
- Starting an Apprenticeship or Traineeship – the employment section of this site can help with this- click here
- Having a break from school and doing a re engagement program. These are short term courses offered externally.
- Online secondary education and other online courses.
- Distance Education
- Home or Part time education
For information on going back to school- click here
For more information on’ in school ‘programs – Click here
To find a career counsellor to talk about options – Career counselling
To find out about short term programs- that can allow for a break from school – more information is available HERE
To see a map of all the flexible providers in the FMP region – Click here