There are many ways to enter University regardless of whether you have completed year 12, VCE or have an ATAR such as;

TAFE pathways

Pathways through TAFE into university often have the option of transferring credit from your TAFE course so that you start Uni in second year for example.

Here each level is explained and the videos on the right of this page have some great info from various institutions.

  • Certificate 1 is a foundation level study and includes certificates such as work or vocational education.
  • Certificate 2 is often an entry or pre-vocational level.
  • Certificate 3 is the level studied for most apprenticeships.
  • Certificate 4 and Diploma are the next levels and some of these will be nested together.
  • Advanced Diplomas are offered in TAFE and also higher education institutions and dual sector providers – that is providers that are both TAFE and universities.
  • Associate Diplomas are offered by some providers as an alternative pathway to university.
  • Bachelor degrees are also called undergraduate degrees and are offered in university although many TAFEs offer bachelor degrees in partnership with University providers.
  • Beyond this level studies are called post graduate such as Honours, Masters and Doctorate or Phd.

By taking a pathways approach you move through the levels and are often able to gain credits for the next level. Entry to each level often depends on successful completion and sometimes a grade point average (GPA) to proceed to the next.

Box Hill TAFE pathways

Chisholm pathways

Holmesglen pathways

Some institutions are Dual sector – that is they are a TAFE and a UNI  ( such as RMIT and Swinburne) you can progress easily through from Diploma to Bachelor with credits.

Alternative entry courses such as bridging courses , associate diplomas and other preparation or access options.

The following links have specific information on pathways offered in various institutions:

ACU pathways

Deakin Pathways

Federation University Pathways

LaTrobe Pathways

Monash pathways

Open colleges

RMIT pathways

Swinburne pathways

Torrens Pathways

Victoria university pathways

Course, Campus and credit transfer pathways and options.

Start your course at a campus with a lower ATAR requirement, then apply to transfer to your desired campus after completing the specified number of units.

Apply to study a course with similar subjects or major sequences, but a lower ATAR, and use this as a pathway into your ideal course.

Find out more about how to get into uni no matter what.

For other pathways options check the providers website and talk to the provider.


If you would like more information please contact us